Several Rule changes were approved by IRC Congress for the new season, a summary is shown below and links to the full details and rule text.
IRC Rule Changes 2020 – summary
• Rule 8.2 has been updated to clarify that a certificate must be valid for the country in
which the boat is racing.
• Rule 8.2.1 allows the number of spinnakers to be changed for a short-handed
• Whisker poles: IRC rule 21.3.5 has been amended to clarify that whisker poles are
permitted with an impact to TCC. In Appendix 1 the STL definition now includes
whisker pole, and a new Whisker Pole IRC definition has been added.
• Rule 22.1 now includes the Inshore Racing Category.
• Rule 21.4 Sailcloth is deleted and reference to exotic materials has been moved to
Rule 21.2.2 Rig Factor. The IRC Rating Authority will maintain a list of exotic
sailcloths (currently none).
• Rule 22.3 Moveable Ballast and Variable Ballast has been re-written in consideration
of a proposed new rating methodology.
• Bulb Weight definition has been amended to include any part of the fin foot below the
upper surface of the bulb.
Related link: World Sailing Equipment Rules of Sailing